Rail Trails for NSW is an non profit incorporated association who are interested rail trails for walking, horseriding and bike riding in NSW and local busnesses, agencies and people that these activities interact with.
AIMS AND OBJECTIVES FOR RAIL TRAILS FOR NSW
Our aims for 2014 as announced at our Parliament House launch are;
- In 2014 the government make available the 21km Tumbarumba to Rosewood section for a rail trail
- By end of 2014, there be a clear process for local governments and their communities to apply to develop and manage their local rail trail
The formal Objectives of the association (Rail Trails for NSW) are;
- Foster the development of rail trails in NSW
- Communicate the economic, tourism, heritage and health opportunities of rail trails in NSW
- Advocate with all levels of government on the establishment of rail trails in NSW
- Support the establishment of local ‘friends of rail trails’ groups or rail trail committees of management in NSW
- Regional & rural communities deserve new economic opportunities, Rail Trails for NSW will assist local communities unlock economic and social benefits through the re-purposing of idle rail corridors.
- Rail Trails for NSW supports the retention of rail routes in public ownership.
- Rail Trails for NSW supports rail transport. Only rail lines that have not been used for some time and have no foreseeable rail services planned should be used for a rail trail.
- Rail Trails are community assets that need the support of their local community and Local Government to succeed.
- Rail Trails for NSW supports the relocation of a rail trail occupying a publicly owned rail route if in the future it becomes economically or socially viable to reinstate a rail service.
- There are thousands of kilometres of idle rail corridors throughout NSW yet only a few hundreds of those kilometres are suitable for converting into excellent rail trails.